Indian Vegetarian BBQ Recipes for Your Next Cookout!
BBQ or grilling at your backyard parties can be fun & entertaining! Even for vegetarians, there’s a plethora of options! Menus at several popular fast food restaurants have come a long way and offer plenty of choices besides the basic salad and bread. Taco Bell has a modifiable vegetarian menu that claims to have more than 8 million vegetarian and vegan combinations. Burger King has the classic Whopper which can now be ordered a burger patty made entirely of plant-based protein.
It’s now a well-established fact that grilling and barbecues aren’t just for meat-eaters. Put that fresh summer produce to the best use possible and please your plant-based partygoers with these creative, flavorful, and filling vegetarian recipes.
Here’s 2 of our favorite recipes:
Paneer & Vegetable Skewers
Paneer is a fresh Indian cheese. It’s very simple to make at home with milk, lemon juice and salt. Alternately, it can be bought in any grocery store.
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon asafoetida(optional)
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium red bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 medium green bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and cut into 1-inch squares
- 2 medium onions, cut into 1-inch cubes and separated into 3-layer segments
- Bamboo skewers, soaked in water for 30 minutes prior to use
- To make the seasoning: Combine salt, cumin, coriander, turmeric, black pepper, cayenne pepper, and asafoetida in a small bowl. Heat oil in a small saucepan until just simmering. Add in spice mixture and cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and let cool.
- Slice paneer into 1-inch cubes and transfer to bowl with potatoes along with peppers and onions. Pour in seasoning mixture and toss to thoroughly coat contents of bowl.
- Alternately thread peppers, paneer and onions onto skewers.
- Place skewers on cool side of grill, cover, and cook until edges of onions and peppers begin to caramelize, 12-15 minutes. Transfer skewers to a large platter and serve immediately. Repeat with remaining skewers.
Spicy Masala Veggie Burgers
for 6 servings
- 2 red potatoes, finely chopped
- 2 large carrots, finely chopped
- ½ bell pepper, finely chopped
- ½ cup corn(90 g)
- ½ teaspoon ginger
- ½ teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- ¼ teaspoon mustard seed
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Finely chop two red potatoes, and two large carrots. Sauté in a little oil for a few minutes.
- Add the bell pepper, corn, and edamame. Continue to cook until the potatoes are soft.
- In a food processor, grind the oats until they are a grainy powder.
- Add the veggies, olive oil, and spices. Blend.
- Shape the mixture into patties, and fry, grill, bake, or freeze them for later!
- Serve with toppings of choice!